The third leg of the African pot is the Manda Wilderness Community Trust (MWCT), established as a UK Charity in 2004.
It is run by an independent board of Trustees appointed for their expertise in African development. MWCT acts as the primary vehicle for funding local development projects and raising funds for local NGOs already active in Niassa Province. Donations have come from guests at the lodge, friends, schools and churches in Europe and the USA as well as donor government development agencies working in Mozambique.
There are sixteen villages working with MWCT and each has a development committee which discusses and approves their most urgent development project. All projects are managed as a partnership between the both sides, with contributions from each. MWCT provides more expensive materials and technical expertise while the villages contribute their time and energy and any local materials needed. The village itself must take responsibility for the project. In this way the development programme gets active community participation and provides people with better skills.
The activities of the Manda Wilderness Community Trust include:
- Construction thus far of 12 primary schools in the area
- Construction of the district’s first maternity clinic
- Construction of the district’s first Girls’ Boarding House
- Small business and vocational training
- Agricultural extension to over 500 farmers in the area through the Manda Wilderness Agricultural Project.
- Organisation of sporting and cultural events such as the annual Traditional Dug-out Canoe Race and the Community Gospel Choir Festival
Supporting Our Community
We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travellers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination.
If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and bring supplies for an initiative in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families.
Words cannot express what a wonderful time we had at Nkwichi. Thank you to everyone who made our stay extra special.. Going to miss the squeaking of the sand under our feet.
Robyn & Cerian, South Africa, October 2014